My First Class

So, my TTT is too high and my language grading needs some work. In non-jargon, that means I tend to talk too much and that both my grammar and verbiage tend to be complicated. The previous sentence, and almost every other sentence that has passed my lips and fingertips since I was 15, amply demonstrate this. Why is this bad for teaching English to people who don't speak it? Because it confuses the hell out of them, that's why. Aside from that, and a few other amatuer flubs, my first few lessons as a student teacher went pretty well.

Actually standing in front of a group of English language learners was an eye-opening experience. My class was a group of well educated, intelligent, successful people who took hours out of their free time to improve their English. The oligation I felt toward them was more powerful even than what I had expected. I needed to engage them and teach them something they found valuable, not because I wanted to get high marks and pass the course (at least, not just that), but because they were so ready and eager to learn.

Students learning European languages are divided into three broad groups, then subdivided, and then, sometimes, subdivided again:

My first group was at the B2 level, meaning they were very accomplished in English, if not yet at the level of proficiency or mastery. That said, they knew more English, more English grammar especially, than a good number of native English speakers. Still, they had gaps and they made mistakes--but they wanted to be better.

I did some silly things to get my class' attention and earn their engagement, like sing the "Ode to Joy" and pretend to be a time traveler. It was easy, though, because I liked them, and they seemed to like me. Three lessons later, though, and they're gone, handed off to some classmates while I move to teach A1 beginners (who will REALLY get confused by my speech patterns if I don't tame them). I'd like to think I'll always remember my first class, but that's probably not the case. Still, I'm going to hold on to their memory as long as my little ape brain will allow. They know things now because I taught--and so do I.

**************************************************************

Please let me know about requests for blog posts, podcasts (one coming very soon), or videos (first one coming in the next 7 days or so!). I could just make whatever, but I want you to like it.

Patreon Supporters! We're about to hit the first Patron billing cycle. If *anything* strikes you as incorrect or off, please let me know.

You can support this blog and get rewards (?) for doing so at www.patreon.com/sjcaustenite.

Comments

Popular Posts