Resolutions for 2020

Ah, yes, New Year's Eve. There will be much drinking, rejoicing, and fireworking.

Image here mainly for preview purposes. Happy New Year!

I am not, nor have I ever been a New Year's Eve guy--the Czech word for NYE is Silvestr, after the saint whose feast day it is--but I do enjoy the opportunity it presents to look back and look ahead, like Janus, the Roman two-faced god of beginnings, endings, and transitions whose name gave us the month January. Just a fun fact.

In any event, I've been looking back to see what I've done and looking forward to see what I can do. I didn't really make any formal resolutions for 2019, instead carrying over a couple that I made in 2018. Unfortunately, the two I failed to complete in 2018 *still* hang around my neck like an albatross. So, let's begin with those...

Resolution #1 (Carried over...again): Learn Some Czech

Even allowing for the (deliberate) squishiness in the word "some," I can't give myself a pass on this one. True, during 2019, I did take a Czech for Foreigners course, which gave me a boost, and I attended a few other lessons here and there; however, on the down side, I stopped using my Duo Linguo (I got annoyed with its vagueness), and I didn't replace it with anything. However, as I prepare to spend my *third* January in Prague, I feel like I should be better. So, I'm putting this here to remind myself and declare my intentions.

Resolution #2 (Ditto): Visit Five New Countries

I literally haven't visited a single new country in 2019. I did plenty of traveling--well, plenty of traveling for an American, that is--but I have yet to fully take advantage of the opportunities I have here. My current list is, in addition the US and the Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, the UK, Canada, and Guatemala. I have decided Italy and Norway don't count because my visits there were too brief. Resolved, by this time next year, I will have visited 5 more countries.

Resolution #3: Work Less


If I were going in order of importance, I would put this one first, since it's really the linchpin for all the others. Since the academic semester began in late September, I've been averaging about 30 classroom hours a week. That's quite a bit, especially when you factor in planning time (probably 15 hours a week), and the notion that often my days begin with me leaving the house at 8:30 and arriving back home 12 hours later because my classes are spread throughout the day and often involve travelling. Now, that's fine--theoretically--but what's dawned on me recently is that I'm thinking too much like an American. There's a certain amount of hustle that's necessary in the teaching life, of course, but I didn't move to Europe, change careers, and totally uproot my entire existence just to always be working or tired from working. So, resolution: work less and enjoy more. I'm not quite sure yet how this will manifest itself--more vacations, fewer jobs, more on-line stuff, etc.--but there are a lot of options and I'm excited to see some empty spots appear on my calendar in 2020.

Resolution #4: Do Gay Stuff

Before you blush and look away, I don't mean that, per se. I mean things like meet other queer folks, go on a few dates (I have been on literally 2 dates since I moved here), go dancing every once in a while--be a part of queer life in Prague. The last few years have been nearly devoid of that sort of shared experience. And it's important and I've missed it. Slight cheat: I've already start working on this one, but I have great hopes for 2020. So, in 2020, assuming Resolution #3 goes well, look for me out and about more--maybe even having the occasional cocktail.

Resolution #5: Write More

Again, this one hinges on successfully pulling off #3, but I am cautiously optimistic that, in 2020, I'll get back to writing on a regular basis. What form that will take is up in the air--almost certainly more blog posts, both here and over at my other, sadly neglected blog--but I have a few other writing projects currently on hold for lack of time and energy. Now, I know that there are those people who worked 9-5 jobs and then went home and worked 4 hours in the evening on their novel or whatever. Good for them. That's not easy for me, so a little more free time could really allow me to create more...whatever. I've been pretty good about carving out podcasting time; now, I just need to do the same for writing.

What are your 2020 Resolutions? Maybe they include chipping a few bucks my way, eh?

Become a Patron!




Comments

Popular Posts